Re: adt7xxx drivers (Was Re: Device name length restriction?)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Michael Lorenz wrote:

I dimly remember that the ADM1030 doesn't have the chip/vendor ID
registers but at least a few registers were more or less identical to
the ADT7467. IIRC the main difference is less resolution in the fan
speed counter ( 8bit vs. 16bit or so )
So, many chips probably need the exact same conversion from register
value to whatever envsys wants.

The datasheet I grabbed yesterday for the ADM1030 indicates that it does indeed have Company_ID (0x3e), Device_ID (0x3d), and Revision (0x3f bits 0:3) registers.

Anyone got any suggestions?  I'm not fond of "device tsfc" or
"device rtsfc".  :)

device dbcool?

That was my first thought, too, but many of the ADMxxxx are not specifically named "dBCOOL" by the vendor; also, dBCOOL is a registered trademark, and the trademark owner could require us to use it correctly, including proper capitalization. :)

If you include all or most of the 'dBCool' family that seems to be
the least horrible name.

Yep, but as above, I'll also include non-dBCOOL(tm) family members.

Still, I think that's probably the best name, as long as there's no lawyerly objections.

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |