Re: adt7xxx drivers (Was Re: Device name length restriction?)

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Michael Lorenz wrote:

macppc's GENERIC contains this:
adt7467c* at ki2c?
adm1030c* at ki2c?

Both drivers use different, ki2c and OpenFirmware specific probe and
attach functions.( see sys/arch/macppc/dev/adt7467_ki2c.c for example )

<snip>

If you can easily unify them I'm all for it. It would be nice if the
ki2c attachment remains intact though.
The ADM 1030 driver needs more testing, I wrote it blindly from the
datasheet and someone with an iBook G3 tested it. I never had the
hardware.

Well, I'm working on it. There are some subtle differences between the various chips which need to watched for. Example: the adt7475 in my motherboards has a configuration option to offset the temperature by 64C (and my BIOS sets this option). Imagine how surprised I was when my first attempt to read the temp from this chip said my CPU temp was at 111C !

I'll make sure that all the existing attachments continue to work, and of course there'll be a general "call for testers" before anything becomes permanent. And none of the individual chip drivers will get deleted until its replacement has been verified.

BTW, there's another set of 4 or 5 ADMxxxx chips which are also nearly identical to the ADTxxxx series, but they're not called "dBCool". So I'm looking for a good device/driver name to cover all of the Analog / ON Semi "remote thermal sensor and fan control" chips. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm not fond of "device tsfc" or "device rtsfc". :)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |