Re: DS207 fails to auto boot (Bad Magic Number)

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 00:34:02 +0100
Nick Østergaard <oe.nick%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> So I tried to set my laptop up to provide the network [direct connection]
> (using archlinux and networkmanager), so actually ended op with something
> that netbooted.

Ok. So the network traffic (or broadcasts) definitelty makes a difference.

> I but it works witht he normal altboot.bin and the altboot
> with 8 descriptors. Hence I am not sure if the 8 descriptors work any
> better.

I guess that more descriptors are not the solution. They might hide the
real problem a bit, if at all.

> But I also noticed that this network is running 10Mbps-FDX, and I
> see one timeout. Is that expected?

Maybe your laptop only allowed a 10Mbps connection? No idea.
But the slow connection certainly helped you with receiving all frames.

I tried the same procedure myself with a DS-106J (2007 firmware) last
night. Unfortunately I am unable to see any problem here. I was even
moving some Gigabytes of data over the net in parallel.

Maybe it only happens with a higher number of broadcast packets, otherwise
the Switch won't forward them to the NAS. But how to generate a flood of
broadcast packets?

Or maybe a Hub helps to generate some more noise for the NAS?

--
Frank Wille