Re: [OT] Re: What netbook to you run NetBSD on? (-> netbook.xml)

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:24:02PM -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> I am replying to two emails here.

I am replying to one (yours) covering both parts.

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
>
> > > What is confusing to me is that some use outputs.lineout.eapd=on with
> > > outputs.lineout, others use inputs.dac10, and I use
> > > outputs.black15.eapd=on with inputs.dac02.
> >
> > There are two issues.
> >
> > First is that the azalia driver compromises, and operates in "best
> > effort" mode when a codec isn't explicitly supported. That's what you're
> > seeing with the <color><nid> style controls.
>
> Is this something that can be explained in a manual page? (Or is it
> already there?)

We have a big mess of *ctl methods and tools and mechanisms. This
seems to be yet another case where there differences between them are
highlighted - for sysctl's, we can load a text description that would
fit the bill nicely here - except mixerctl and audioctl can't take
these.

So, as an aside, it would be great if someone[TM] felt like
rototilling and unifying these multiple interfaces to a common
infrastructure and structure, presumably basedon proplib.

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
>
> > In my case I had to search the web and try and fail before I found out
> > what worked for me. Most people would give up long before (I know most
> > people don't run NetBSD either).
>
> That was my case. But searching led nowhere. Some other NetBSD users gave
> me various things to try.

Mine too - but nothing I've ever tried has resulted in audible output.

> If it can't be made easy, then we could at least have the azalia and/or
> other appropriate man pages clearly document what works for certain
> hardware (and what doesn't work). On that note, if the hardware can detect
> what hardware and we can document what works to turn on speaker and
> control volume, then it seems like the software could handle that too with
> a consistent name.
>
> (Probably obvious: I don't know anything about the HDA code or
> specifications. I am just a user in this case and I want it to be easy for
> others.)

Yeah, me too - with one additional point.  I don't necessarily expect
that things will Just Work automagically - though of course it would
sure be nice.  I'm prepared to do some experimentation and analysis
and fiddling if necessary to discover whatever bizarre permutation of
hardware a particular laptop (eg, mine) uses, and the corresponding
settings that make it work.

I assume most of us are. The crucial issue here is that there really
isn't a place to start entering this maze.

--
Dan.