Re: [OT] Re: What netbook to you run NetBSD on? (-> netbook.xml)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
What is confusing to me is that some use outputs.lineout.eapd=on with
outputs.lineout, others use inputs.dac10, and I use
outputs.black15.eapd=on with inputs.dac02.

There are two issues.

First is that the azalia driver compromises, and operates in "best effort" mode when a codec isn't explicitly supported. That's what you're seeing with the <color><nid> style controls.

The second is that HD audio mixers don't map very well to Sun audio mixer controls. Using information from HD audio widgets you can derive a name like "Line-out Jack (Location: Back, Channels: Front Left/Right) Mute Switch" but I don't know how to map that to a sysctl MIB style name that won't piss anybody off.

Jared