Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

Hello,

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:54:03 +0200
Radoslaw Kujawa <radoslaw.kujawa%c0ff33.net@localhost> wrote:

> On 27 wrz 2011, at 20:31, Michael wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:06:45 +0200
> > Radoslaw Kujawa <radoslaw.kujawa%c0ff33.net@localhost> wrote:

> >> Typical wsdisplay driver implementation provides functions like putchar,
> >> cursor, etc. In grf+ite combination, these functions are provided by ite.
> >> So, if we suddenly don't use ite, then we don't have access to these
> >> functions ;).
> >
> > Sorry, I must be missing something since this makes no sense whatsoever.
> > putchar() is a low level operation that's done by the driver or something
> > else that scribbles into video memory ( like rasops for example ).
>
> Current architecture looks like this:
>
> hardware -> grfXX -> iteXX -> ite -> console
>
> Where XX is hardware-dependent part. Things used only by ite (like putchar or
> cursor) were put into iteXX.

Ah, so iteXX is the part I've been missing.
So, wsdisplay would replace ite but not iteXX ;)

> > Why on earth would anyone put that into the terminal emulator?
>
> I don't know ;). This grf+ite thing probably originated from hp300 port, but
> hp300 has
> migrated to wsdisplay some time ago.

I remember it from hp300 ( I used to have a HP9000/345 )

> Maybe the person who did this work could help us understand what needs to be
> done ;-).

I think all the hw specific bits belong into the resp. drivers, for wsdisplay's
purpose grfXX and iteXX would be one driver.

have fun
Michael