Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:37:55 +0200
Radoslaw Kujawa <radoslaw.kujawa%c0ff33.net@localhost> wrote:

> > We probably don't have to care about the fonts, as this is already
> > done by the grfxx driver?
>
> I understand that the current font code will not work with wscons.
> However, wscons does not really care about this, because it has it's
> own terminal emulator and own fonts (provided by wsemul).

Yes, it does not care about it. It just calls putchar() with a text position
and our driver has to render the character, just in the same way as it
did in the ite driver before. At least I hope so...

> It's not really a text mode in VGA/x86 sense of this word. Current
> grf drivers set up some graphics mode, on which terminal is emulated
> (ite) using 2D accelerated drawing routines.

Are you sure? It looks like it switches into a special 4 plane text
mode, where the first plane contains the characters and the second
the attributes. That's exactly the same technique as in the vga console
driver.

> I understand that wsfb X11 driver should work on top of _any_
> wsdisplay driver that does provide memory mapped mode.

You're absolutely right. I didn't know that it can switch to mapped mode
with SMODE. That's great!

--
Frank Wille