Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

Hi.

On 27 wrz 2011, at 20:31, Michael wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:06:45 +0200
> Radoslaw Kujawa <radoslaw.kujawa%c0ff33.net@localhost> wrote:
>
>> On 27 wrz 2011, at 19:59, Michael wrote:
>>
>>> Huh? Ite draws characters by calling functions provided by grf, wsdisplay
>>> can do the same.
>>
>> Typical wsdisplay driver implementation provides functions like putchar,
>> cursor, etc. In grf+ite combination, these functions are provided by ite.
>> So, if we suddenly don't use ite, then we don't have access to these
>> functions ;).
>
> Sorry, I must be missing something since this makes no sense whatsoever.
> putchar() is a low level operation that's done by the driver or something
> else that scribbles into video memory ( like rasops for example ).

Current architecture looks like this:

hardware -> grfXX -> iteXX -> ite -> console

Where XX is hardware-dependent part. Things used only by ite (like putchar or
cursor) were put into iteXX.

> Why on earth would anyone put that into the terminal emulator?

I don't know ;). This grf+ite thing probably originated from hp300 port, but
hp300 has migrated to wsdisplay some time ago.

Maybe the person who did this work could help us understand what needs to be
done ;-).

--
Best regards,
Radoslaw Kujawa