Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 09:02:06 -0400
Michael <> wrote:

> I just had a quick look at the grf / ite code - it shouldn't be all
> that complicated to support wsdisplay at grf - the drawing methods
> are slightly different but that can be handled by a few lines of
> translation code. s far as I can tell, whatever wsdisplay needs is
> already in place, just needs a little bit of work to match. That
> would allow you to leave the drivers alone and only have new ones
> support wsdisplay directly.

Ok. So we should just modify the existing grf-drivers to attach a
wsdisplay when NWSDISPLAY > 0, for example, and don't do ite-
initialization in this case? I will check that.

> > Maybe we should just include some fixed VESA modes in wsdisplay
> > instead?
> Why change it at all? Wsdisplay doesn't know or care about video
> modes and there is no standard API for programming video modes anyway.

Yes, we could still use grfconfig. Nice.

But does wsdisplay support changing the screen mode while running?

Frank Wille