Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

On 20 September 2011 09:53, Radoslaw Kujawa
<radoslaw.kujawa%c0ff33.net@localhost> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> On 20 wrz 2011, at 10:17, David Brownlee wrote:
>> I'd like to suggest a deadline is set for cutting all remaining ports
>> across to xorg - the source will remain in the repository for anyone
>> wanting to port any Xfree86 drivers across to Xorg.
>
> This might mean "no more X11 server on an amiga".
>
> AFAIK Xorg does not support old-style ite/grf drivers present on this port.
> Please correct me if I am wrong. Even though we have some wscons support, 99%
> of users do not use it on amiga, because it is not complete and is not
> enabled by default. In fact there's only one working wscons driver
> (amidisplaycc, for amiga's integrated graphics). And we have tons of drivers
> utilizing the old ite/grf mechanism.
>
> Converting all ite/grf drivers to wscons is a huge task. I doubt it is
> possible, considering slow development activity on m68k ports. Adding support
> for ite/grf to Xorg might be easier actually.
>
> I am currently working on a PCI subsystem, which might bring some wsdisplay
> drivers to amiga, but it has still a long way to go.

Given the quantity of amiga grf drivers it may well make more sense to
port the X drivers across from XFree86 to xorg, at least for the near
to medium term. I suspect that once you have the PCI subsystem
complete and running graphics cards (excellent project btw :), those
cards would be supported under wscons and that may pull amiga towards
more wsdisplay usage...