Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

On 20 September 2011 03:19, matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:

> could someone bring us tech-x11 folks up to speed on what this
> thread started about?  (the subject has some clues.. but it'd
> be best to be clear.)

pkgsrc can only build with X11_TYPE=native for X11R7 (and there may be
some issues with very early X11R7 versions), for any other system it
has to build with modular, which on an older slower port means
building libX11 and quite a large set of other libs and includes from
pkgsrc for even the simplest X app.

[more below]

>> On 19 September 2011 08:43, Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > On netbsd-5 look at src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk:
>> >
>> > #
>> > # Do we default to XFree86 or Xorg for this platform?
>> > #
>> > .if ${MACHINE} == "amd64" || ${MACHINE} == "i386" || \
>> >    ${MACHINE} == "macppc" || ${MACHINE} == "sgimips" || \
>> >    ${MACHINE} == "shark" || ${MACHINE} == "sparc64"
>> > X11FLAVOUR?=    Xorg
>> > .else
>> > X11FLAVOUR?=    XFree86
>> > .endif
>>
>> Thats a lot of XFree86 users. If I recall correctly all of the ports
>> which do not build Xservers have subsequently been switched to Xorg.
>>
>> On current the test is inverted and:
>>
>> .if \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "acorn32"     || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "alpha"       || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "amiga"       || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "ews4800mips" || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "mac68k"      || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "newsmips"    || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "pmax"        || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "sun3"        || \
>>     ${MACHINE} == "x68k"
>> X11FLAVOUR?=    XFree86
>> .else
>> X11FLAVOUR?=    Xorg
>> .endif
>>
>> Is anyone working on moving any of the remaining XFree86 using ports to Xorg?
>
> i think tsutsui has ews4800mips and newsmips support either
> working or in the works.
>
> alpha xorg doesn't work for tga cards, and there is no support
> for the turbochannel cards.  (someone send a pmax to mac ;)

If he has any space (and time!) left I'm more than happy to help ship
obscure X capable boxes to Michael, or anyone else wanting to work on
them :)

> i'm not really aware of anyone else who cares about these X
> servers.  probably we should remove them after netbsd-6 is
> branched (and the whole xfree tree itself.)

I suspect you would find at least amiga & mac68k X users, and
potentially some others.

I'd like to suggest a deadline is set for cutting all remaining ports
across to xorg - the source will remain in the repository for anyone
wanting to port any Xfree86 drivers across to Xorg.

I suspect a bunch of them would work fine with wsfb, albeit losing the
ability to change depth and resolution, but the difference between
that and no X is much larger than that and everything with bells &
whistles :)