Re: cvs better than git?

On 2020-06-21 18:17, Sad Clouds wrote:
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 17:15:44 +0200
Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:

Not talking about a specific tool, but the process then.

There are multiple advantages by having code reviewed.
First of all, noone is perfect. People make mistakes all the time,
and having two people look at it already reduce silly errors
significantly.

I'm not against code reviews, and as I've mentioned, you can easily do
that on the command line against a private branch, before it is merged
with the main branch. Personally, I'm not that keen on the GUI process
with Git, Gerrit, etc. Too much red tape and clicking on buttons.

When I work with people, I want to trust them to do their job right, and
don't want to monitor every line of code they write, unless of cause
they ask for it. On the other side of the spectrum, sometimes you get
complete control freaks, that block you all the time due to minor
stylistic differences.

I hear what you say, but it's still a fact that even good people make errors all the time. So it's not really that much about "trust" as about in the end getting the damn thing right. Prestige have no place there. If you think you write perfect code, and if you feel anyone looking over your should is an insult, then I think you should think again. :-)

Code style is another question of process. For few people, and small systems, it's usually not a problem when it's the wild west. The more people, the larger the project, and the longer the code lives, the more does such things start to matter.

And having a style guide is usually an issue for new members for the first month or two, after that there is usually very little comments about style. People adopt pretty quick. So, no, I would say it does not block you all the time, unless you insist on not following style guides.

Style guides are not about right or wrong in an absolute sense, most of the time, but about having consistency. As such, I really dislike some rules of the style guides we have at work, but I definitely see the benefit when hitting some old code, when I can easily see the relevant bits without trying to penetrate whatever odd style this person used when writing the code. And that makes the code more maintainable in the long run. So I'll happily live with the stupid style guide, for that win. No two people agree on styles anyhow, but most people do agree that it's good if code look somewhat similar independent of who wrote it, especially when it comes to maintaining old code. And honestly, maintaining old code is about the most painful thing there is, many times...

  Johnny