Re: cvs better than git?

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:32:32 -0400
gary%duzan.org@localhost wrote:

> >> Let me point you to the hell that is called "Gerrit"...
> >> Example: https://review.opendev.org/
> >
> > Like I said. We are using gerrit. It's not without a bunch of
> > issues all on its own... :-)
> >
> > Any other options around with similar functionality?
> >
> >    Johnny
>
>    Our group at work uses Gerrit. We have had some trouble
> maintaining it, so we have been considering moving to Bitbucket,
> which already exists in the company. Bitbucket seems nice enough,
> though of course it is commercial. If I were looking for a solution
> today I would consider Phabricator/Differential, as it is open
> source, supports Mercurial, and appears decent enough.
>
>                               Gary Duzan

What is the actual benefit of these tools? In a commercial environment
I find them to be a complete distraction and it often results in people
blocking you from committing changes due to various petty reasons.

Ideally, you wouldn't need to manage anything, you trust your team
members to use their own experience and commit correct and well tested
code. You can still review the changes on their private branch, but you
can easily do that on the command line - "svn diff --diff-cmd=meld ..."
was the best review tool for me.