Re: cvs better than git?

On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 00:03:54 +0000, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Except when git refuses to do that, which I have had happen to me
> several times. git stash refuses (I can't even remember the error
> message right now, but something weird).

I can't think of any nonobvious (like being in a conflicted merge
already, or in a rebase) reasons why it should fail, but I might
have internalized those cases so well that I subconsciously avoid them.

> Which of course also leads on
> to the git pull refusing to work, and no matter how you fight it, it
> seems to have been impossible to resolve.
> Which is one of the scenarios I mention I've been in where in the end,
> even the "experts" gave up and just told me to wipe and start over.

Perhaps let an actual expert look on them. (Yes, I know, they tend
to not be available at that point in time, and few people are interested
in later reproducing the situation.)

> Don't you love typing in those long hashes to refer to specific versions?

Non sequitur to the previous paragraph. Unless you're actually on a
glass tty it's usually copy&paste, and even that I don't need often.

> Basically, it seems like everyone is sooner or later giving up on
> command line, and start using some graphical tool to try to make sense
> of the git repository...

Not me. The only gui tool I tried and kept using is 'gitk', mainly
because it allows to see the current state of the commit graph
much better than anything text-mode.

> And of course you want code reviews and the like before something gets
> committed to the central repository.

'...gets merged into a blessed branch', more likely. The point being
probably that 'commit' and 'to somewhere' are different things in
DVCS. The distinction between 'patchset to review' and 'commits to
make' blurs.

- Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."