Re: Modifying topHeader to merge both navbars

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 09:10:02 +0200
Jean-Yves Migeon <jeanyves.migeon%free.fr@localhost> wrote:

> On 02.08.2012 03:28, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > The only running text is under "Welcome to
> > NetBSD" (#mainContent).  It should be normal size.
>
> The font for the whole site or just the bar?

The navbar font is fine.  I would change
http://www.netbsd.org/~jym/netbsd/index_fichiers/global.css to include

        #mainContent { font-size: 100%; }

> However... changing the font-weight on dynamic events (like hovering)
> modify width, so you have to hardcode dimensions if you do not want
> the elements to suddenly "move".

I seem to recall something like that, yes, with other page I worked
on.  I'll take a look and see what I can do.

> Won't this be used for a new fundraising, but by just changing dates?

If and when.  Likely the situation will be different.  There's always
CVS.

> > It would be nice if "Of course it runs NetBSD" used left- and
> > right-quotes.  That's in NetBSD-headerlogo.png, which unfortunately
> > is a checked-in image.
>
> I wondered the same thing, but kept it as-is -- my purpose was to
> modify the bars and not the whole layout.

Understood, and the page is definitely better because of your work.

I brought it up because you're working on the page and I can't think of
where else to discuss it.  I hardly think we need a mailing list for
NetBSD asthetics or public image.  Perhaps someone here knows the
history.

> I can move the image + quotes to full HTML, but that will be part of
> another commit. Baby steps please

That certainly understandable.

FWIW, the letterspacing of The NetBSD Project logo is a little wider
than usual.  Look at the distance between the B and S in NetBSD in the
logo, for instance, compared with NetBSD elsewhere on the page.  (I
imagine it's intentional.  I don't know if it's important.)  I got a
similar result in groff using kerning.  AFAIK it can't be done in CSS.

Regards,

--jkl