Port-alpha archive

Re: successful boot report

[mhitch]
> Does a 'show config' command show any network device?

Nothing I recognize as one at first sight, but see below.  This is a
ten-finger copy; whitespace in particular might be a little off.

PCI Bus
     Bus 00  Slot 05: 905010B7

     Bus 00  Slot 07: 051B102B/0300102B

     Bus 00  Slot 08: Intel 82378
                                                           Bridge to Bus 1, ISA
     Bus 00  Slot 09: Adaptec AIC-7880
                                   pka0.7.0.9.0            SCSI Bus ID 7
                                   dka100.1.0.9.0           IBM-PSG ST39103LC
     Bus 00  Slot 11: CMD PCI0646 IDE
                                   dqa.0.0.11.0

ISA
Slot    Device  Name             Type         Enabled  BaseAddr  IRQ      DMA
0
        0       MOUSE            Embedded        Yes     60      12
        0       KBD              Embedded        Yes     60      1
        0       COM1             Embedded        Yes     3f8     4
        0       COM2             Embedded        Yes     2f8     3
        0       LPT1             Embedded        Yes     3bc     7
        0       FLOPPY           Embedded        Yes     3f0     6        2

> Or anything that looks like and IDE controller?

Well, yes. :)

>    If the 164LX is anything like my PC164, it might need an ISACFG command
> if either the IDE or network device is an ISA device.  I recall playing
> with that command a bit on my PC164, but I don't remember what I was
> trying to do at the time.

Excerpting from the NetBSD boot messages, the PCI enumeration above
matches up well:

ex0 at pci0 dev 5 function 0: 3Com 3c905-TX 10/100 Ethernet (rev. 0x0)
vga0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0: Matrox MGA Millennium II 2164W (rev. 0x00)
sio0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: Intel 82378ZB System I/O (rev. 0x43)
ahc0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter
cmdide0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0
cmdide0: CMD Technology PCI0646 (rev. 0x01)
isa0 at sio0

So I'd say the Ethernet _does_ show up in "show config", just not in a
very useful form (presumably because SRM doesn't know the 3c905).

The only things that attach "at isa" are

lpt0 at isa0 port 0x3bc-0x3bf irq 7
com0 at isa0 port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4: ...
com1 at isa0 port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3: ...
pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60-0x64
attimer0 at isa0 port 0x40-0x43: AT Timer
pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
fxc0 at isa0 port 03f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
mcclock0 at isa0 port 0x70-0x71: ...

There _are_ two other lines

cmdide0: primary channel interrupting at isa irq 14
cmdide0: secondary channel interrupting at isa irq 15

which seem a little odd (a PCI device interrupting at an ISA IRQ?), but
presumably when everything's in one big ASIC you get things like that.

Someone asked me offlist what SRM rev the machine has.  I'm answering
here in case anyone else cares.  On reset, it calls itself

Digital AlphaPC 164LX 533 MHz Console V5.8-1, Jun 21 2000 11:28:32

"show version" prints "V5.8-1 Jun 21 2000 11:28:32" - just like the
last 40% or so of that message, except for the comma.  And "show"
includes a variable "version" which has that content.  I hope that's
revision information enough.

[uridium]
>> [...] at one point I had a MicroVAX-II running diskless, [...]
> Nice to see a uVAX-II still being loved and used in anger.

Well, it _has_ been a year or two since I turned it on.  I keep wanting
to, though....

\ / Ribbon Campaign