Port-alpha archive

Re: successful boot report

G'day,

Thank you!  But, really, I can't claim much credit; the only difficult
part was getting NetBSD on the machine, and even that wasn't very hard.
The CD drive didn't work in the sense that I couldn't figure out how to
boot from it; I swapped in another drive I had handy and had the same
problem.  I put a second disk on my PWS 600au and installed onto it,
then moved it to the A10, and it all Just Worked.

If the CDROM is scsi, check if it's got the 512byte block jumper
set. Sometimes this is called "sector size". Might've been the problem. Another option for future reference is to set up a MOP (maint operation) boot for VMS or *NIX. Both NetBSD and TheoLinux come with mopd pre-installed. Very useful for VAX/Alpha's.

Well, this one calls itself an LX, and in the console, the os_type
parameter claims to support VMS and Unix (and one other which I don't
remember in detail but I do remember thinking, wait, how does that
differ from the "Unix" choice?).  And it does indeed run NetBSD.  So I
suspect the LX is the `complete' one.

Nifty :)

Have fun!

Regards,
Al

 Al Boyanich
 adb -w -P "world> " -k /dev/meta/galaxy/ksyms /dev/god/brain