Re: proposed change to getty

On 2021-10-14 10:08, Jared McNeill wrote:
On Thu, 14 Oct 2021, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Right. Maybe I should have been clearer.

Is that a problem? getty opens the device, and does the initial prompting. It then exec login, and when the child eventually exits, it waits a while before opening the device again.

So far, so good. So getty have the device open, it can check if it is local, it can wait before doing a new open if it is not local. Which seems like the most natural thing.

There - makes sense now?

This is not how getty works.

You are right. I was trying to remember things and am messed up.

However, did I misunderstand your original problem?

And finally, the problem is actually simpler in the end. The local attribute information is (or should be) in /etc/ttys and /etc/gettytab, so you do not actually have to open the line to know if it is local or not. And obviously there is no point or need to delay if we're local. But if we're actually remote, there needs to be a delay, and I still think getty is the place where that makes sense to have.

There. This time I don't think there is anything else to sort out.

  Johnny