Re: proposed change to getty

    Date:        Tue, 12 Oct 2021 09:42:55 -0400
    From:        matthew sporleder <msporleder%gmail.com@localhost>

  | Do you mean modem like a telephone modem or modem like a serial port?

I meant telephone modems - they're what most uses DTR as a functional
signal, and it is disabling that signal that all this is about.   (There
were other devices that behaved similarly, but they're even less likely to
be seen now.)

The serial port is the system interface to the modem (that is the interface
in question - modems that are implemented on ISA/EISA/PCI/PCIe/... cards
are entirely different beasts, though I believe that some of those, probably
even most, present a system interface that looks like a serial port, and
most likely manipulating the fake DTR on that fake serial port would have
similar effects).

And yes, I know that these things are not quite as commonly used these
days as they were in the 1970's and 80's ...

kre