Re: proposed change to getty

On 2021-10-13 18:25, Jared McNeill wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Sure, if all serial port drivers were to implement this at close, then getty certainly could skip it. But the OP at the same time also question if people are using getty at all, in which case, what is the problem with the delay in getty in the first place?

You misunderstand my original email. getty runs on framebuffer and serial consoles, and the delay is not needed in those cases.

Ah! Definitely agree there. getty should only really have a delay if it is a remote terminal, in fact. If you don't have modem control to start with, it has always been pointless to even have a delay, or play with DTR.

But it's wrong to just adopt the code to one use case, when there are several.

  Johnny