Re: proposed change to getty

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Right. Maybe I should have been clearer.

Is that a problem? getty opens the device, and does the initial prompting. It then exec login, and when the child eventually exits, it waits a while before opening the device again.

So far, so good. So getty have the device open, it can check if it is local, it can wait before doing a new open if it is not local. Which seems like the most natural thing.

There - makes sense now?

This is not how getty works.

It's not the same getty process at this point because the last one has done an exec. So you have lost the context and it is always a "new" open. Hence the old code doing a sleep every time -- the _new_ getty process has no context of whether the device it is about to open has clocal set.

I've made it pretty clear by now that your suggestion won't work in practice and I won't be spending any more time trying to convince you otherwise.

Take care,
Jared