Re: proposed change to getty

On 2021-10-13 21:56, Jared McNeill wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2021, Johnny Billquist wrote:

Ah! Definitely agree there. getty should only really have a delay if it is a remote terminal, in fact. If you don't have modem control to start with, it has always been pointless to even have a delay, or play with DTR.

But it's wrong to just adopt the code to one use case, when there are several.

The com(4) driver has had a better workaround for this issue for a quarter of a century. Many other serial drivers do too.

Really? Because I would really think that clocal would be the absolute correct thing to check for, and if it is, then don't have a delay. And if it's not, then a delay is in order. And all kind of local monitors and keyboards, who run getty should be clocal.

No need for "workarounds", really. The one thing to argue about is where the delay should be placed.

Like I said in the original email, if this change causes issues for you, let me know which driver to look at and I will help fix it.

I haven't had any time to check, so I don't know for sure. But I do know there are several serial port drivers on a VAX.

  Johnny