Re: GOP and using monitor

Hello RVP,

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021 at 3:46 PM RVP <rvp%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021, Riza Dindir wrote:
>
> > Initially I had a problem when trying to install the system from the
> > CD. It was the radeon card...
> >
> > It gave a "panic: cnopen: no console found" error and failed (entering
> > the debugger).
> >
> > Prior to that a drm error is given.
> >
> > kern error: [drm:(/export/netbsd/src/sys/external/bsd/drm2/dist/drm/radeon/radeon_bios.c:725)radeon_get_bios]
> > *ERROR* Unable to locate a BIOS ROM
> > radeon0: autoconfiguration error: error: Fatal error during GPU init
> > radeon0: autoconfiguration error: unable to attach drm: 22
> >
> > I remember that I had the radeon1 also, there were two of these drm
> > errors, as far as I can remember. So I could not pass this point. So I
> > disabled radeon to install the system, and wrote a boot.cfg to use gop
> > and disabling radeon.
> >

> I see. You could try out the WIP 5.6 Linux DRM branch to see if that fares
> better:
>
> https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/563-56-gpu-drivers-update

Will continue monitoring that...

> Or, see if this works. In the GENERIC config:
>
> # genfb*          at pci? dev ? function ?
> genfb0          at pci1 dev 0 function 0
> genfb1          at pci0 dev 1 function 0

Are you saying that gop will always use genfb0, and that connecting
genfb0, in the kernel, to the other radeon device/output (on pci1, dev
0 fn 0) would make the monitor show all the output, disabling the
laptop LCD?

Hmmm, worth trying. Let me get the source code and try. Given that I
was contemplating on changing the readeon_bios.c file to see where it
was returning false and giving the kernel error. But this might be an
easier thing to do first.

> On the assumption that your _other_ Radeon card is connected to the VGA
> port, we make genfb0 attach to it (and which will take over all displays
> --no multi-card support on NetBSD at present, I'm told).

I am not looking to get multi-car support, or support for two
monitors. I am trying to adjust the brightness, and was thinking of
connecting my external LCD monitor via VGA to the system and get
output.

> -RVP

Riza