Re: GOP and using monitor

Hello Andrew,

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 1:27 PM Andrew Ball <asbatwrk%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello Riza,
>
>   RD> I have an LCD monitor that i can connect via vga port. Can i use
>     > this monitor as the only monitor?  Do not need to use the laptop
>     > monitor.  This way i can reduce the brightness on the monitor.
>
>     If you close the lid on your laptop, does the external monitor
> become the only one?  It's a while since I used NetBSD's X11, so I do
> not know whether it is able to adapt on the fly to a change in
> configuration like that.

No, unfortunately not. The monitor is not getting any video input.

In the dmesg it seems there are two genfb devices. Here is the output of dmesg.

[     1.017264] genfb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: vendor 1002 product
1309 (rev. 0x00)
[     1.017264] genfb0: framebuffer at 0xe0000000, size 1366x768,
depth 32, stride 5632
[     1.017264] genfb0: shadow framebuffer enabled, size 4224 KB
[     1.017264] wsdisplay0 at genfb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100
emulation), using wskbd0
[     1.017264] drm at genfb0 not configured
[     1.017264] genfb1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: vendor 1002 product
6604 (rev. 0x00)

There is the genfb for pci1, which I assume is the vga port output of
the laptop. But I might be wrong.

>     Out of interest, does your monitor only have a VGA input?  I would
> usually use HMDI or miniDisplayPort, given the chance.

The monitor does not have any HDMI input. Only VGA.

> -Andy Ball

Riza