Re: Regarding the boot process.

Hello

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021 at 1:33 AM RVP <rvp%sdf.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Sep 2021, Riza Dindir wrote:
>
> > I have added both the bootia32.efi file and the bootx64.efi files to
> > the EFI partition under the directory /efi/boot.
> >

> You can add those files in either the system EFI partition or in an
> EFI partition for NetBSD. I do the latter since I boot multiple OSes
> (each has its own EFI partition--which I then add to BIOS to select
> between while booting).

I have an option in my bios to select the efi file to make that boot.
But this can be selected when secure boot is on.

> > The system boots from the drive in the DVD sata slot. But there is
> > something not right. The system presents the boot menu. I am not even
> > seeing the mem[...] printout anymore, it just passed really quickly.
> > Then I selected a normal boot. The system prints "default boot twice,
> > skipping...", and the system just is very slow in spinning the textual
> > gadget, between the numbers. That stage takes minutes, not seconds.
> >
> > Why would this stage be so slow?
> >

> So HDD connected to the DVD slot is slow. I wonder if the BIOS has
> configured that to some slow PIO/DMA mode. Check the BIOS settings
> for the DVD drive.
>
> But, Michael or Martin would know more about this stuff...

The HDD connected to the DVD slot is not that slow. It just sits
there, in the first stages, and takes longer to start spitting out the
diagnostics messages. After that the system is usable as far as I can
see, and can use X.

Of course, I also need the DVD drive connected via USB to the system,
to skip the "mem[...]" stage, which is not logical, and am trying to
figure out why.

But there is no way to configure that kind of thing, as far as I can
remember. I will look at that again.

> > So maybe having a USB stick with a EFI partition on it might be a
> > better and a more portable idea (as Greg suggested), instead of having
> > a USB DVD drive connected to the system, and having a boot process
> > that is slow.
> >

> Yes. that is a very good fall-back suggestion.

Yep, that i will try, if i can not get the system running smoothly.

> -RVP

Riza