Re: Regarding the boot process.

Hello,

I have done a couple of things, and wanted to share the results with you.

First I have somewhat followed what RVP suggested. After reading RVP's
reply, I have followed the installation process for UEFI systems for
NetBSD 8.0. I am using NetBSD 9.2 ISO to install the system. But the
manual process of setting up the partitions for the UEFI boot would be
the same as RVP described I think.

I have added both the bootia32.efi file and the bootx64.efi files to
the EFI partition under the directory /efi/boot.

I do not know why we need bootia32.efi? Since my system is amd64.

Then I have added the boot.cfg file from the cdrom as an example and
disabled radeon* and acpibat* as radeon is not working on my system.
and acpibat is also reporting problems.

The system boots from the drive in the DVD sata slot. But there is
something not right. The system presents the boot menu. I am not even
seeing the mem[...] printout anymore, it just passed really quickly.
Then I selected a normal boot. The system prints "default boot twice,
skipping...", and the system just is very slow in spinning the textual
gadget, between the numbers. That stage takes minutes, not seconds.

Why would this stage be so slow?

And what stage is this, where the system counts/spins and shows those numbers?

When I was using the drive over USB, this stage was really fast.

After that, if you are patient, you get to the stage where the
diagnostics messages are shown.

I also have discovered something else. When I have the DVD drive
connected, via USB, the system gets to the boot menu. Otherwise it is
stuck at the mem[...] printout. Probably, when I wait, the boot menu
might show, but I am not sure on that.

So maybe having a USB stick with a EFI partition on it might be a
better and a more portable idea (as Greg suggested), instead of having
a USB DVD drive connected to the system, and having a boot process
that is slow.

Regards,
Riza