Re: Regarding the boot process.

Hello,

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 7:57 PM Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:

> riza.dindir%gmail.com@localhost (Riza Dindir) writes:
>
> >On the other hand, this is very interesting, when I run the "gpt show
> >-a sd0" (which is where the HDD is connected via USB) I see that the
> >NetBSD partition has the "biosboot" attribute, not the "bootme"
> >attribute. Would this cause the boot to fail?
>
> bootme is used by the EFI bootloader to select the boot partition.
> If that flag isn't set, there is a heuristic to select a boot partition.

How does the system decide which partition to select. I wanted to
understand how the system is able to boot from the NetBSD HDD when
connected via USB, and also when connected (without any other disks)
at the internal HDD sata slot (on its own) and when connected at the
DVD sata slot (on its own). Since in these cases, I was able to boot
NetBSD from the HDD.

> biosboot is used by the gptmbr (legacy) bootloader to select a partition,
> that's like an "active" partition in a MBR partition table.
>
> You can use the 'gpt set' and 'gpt unset' commands to modify the flags.

I could not find biosboot in the manual pages, but there is a manual
page for the installboot utility that uses a biosboot file.

So since this flag is set, would it be possible that the system might
be able to boot from the HDD caddy, by only changing this flag to
"bootme"?

Regards,
Riza