Re: Regarding the boot process.

riza.dindir%gmail.com@localhost (Riza Dindir) writes:

>> bootme is used by the EFI bootloader to select the boot partition.
>> If that flag isn't set, there is a heuristic to select a boot partition.

>How does the system decide which partition to select. I wanted to
>understand how the system is able to boot from the NetBSD HDD when
>connected via USB, and also when connected (without any other disks)
>at the internal HDD sata slot (on its own) and when connected at the
>DVD sata slot (on its own). Since in these cases, I was able to boot
>NetBSD from the HDD.

The bootloader just looks for a partition, it doesn't search the boot disk.
I wouldn't rule out an UEFI bug.

>I could not find biosboot in the manual pages, but there is a manual
>page for the installboot utility that uses a biosboot file.

gpt has a biosboot command and 'gpt set' lets you add a 'biosboot'
attribute to a partition.

>So since this flag is set, would it be possible that the system might
>be able to boot from the HDD caddy, by only changing this flag to
>"bootme"?

You can try, but the only thing that 'bootme' should determine is what
partition the EFI bootloader will select as default. A second disk
should not have an effect.