Re: Regarding the boot process.

On Tue, 7 Sep 2021, Riza Dindir wrote:

I have added both the bootia32.efi file and the bootx64.efi files to
the EFI partition under the directory /efi/boot.

You can add those files in either the system EFI partition or in an
EFI partition for NetBSD. I do the latter since I boot multiple OSes
(each has its own EFI partition--which I then add to BIOS to select
between while booting).

The system boots from the drive in the DVD sata slot. But there is
something not right. The system presents the boot menu. I am not even
seeing the mem[...] printout anymore, it just passed really quickly.
Then I selected a normal boot. The system prints "default boot twice,
skipping...", and the system just is very slow in spinning the textual
gadget, between the numbers. That stage takes minutes, not seconds.

Why would this stage be so slow?

So HDD connected to the DVD slot is slow. I wonder if the BIOS has
configured that to some slow PIO/DMA mode. Check the BIOS settings
for the DVD drive.

But, Michael or Martin would know more about this stuff...

So maybe having a USB stick with a EFI partition on it might be a
better and a more portable idea (as Greg suggested), instead of having
a USB DVD drive connected to the system, and having a boot process
that is slow.

Yes. that is a very good fall-back suggestion.

-RVP