Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

U'll Be King Of The Stars <ullbeking%andrewnesbit.org@localhost> wrote:

> On 10 May 2019 07:53:06 BST, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
> >On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 06:45:14AM +0100, U'll Be King Of The Stars
> >wrote:
> >> FYI all I made an account at Vultr.com and installed OpenBSD  (not
> >> Net*).  Anyway, it was a nice process.  But the $2.50 and $3.50
> >VPS'es
> >> didn't seem to exist.
> >
> >`didn't exist' or `sold out'? The availability may vary geography-wise.
> >
> >https://www.vultr.com/pricing/ still shows those.
>
> They "sold out" in a highly artificial way, of course.  It's slightly misleading advertising however I haven't raised a ticket about it yet.  Still it is very cheap and I am able to upload any ISO I want so it's still good.

As I mentioned a couple of days ago in this thread, the cheap
$2.50/$3.50 Vultr plans aren't currently available. As far as I can
tell, the stock for these plans is very limited, and Vultr apparently
don't have much interest in adding more stock. In short, these aren't
the plans that Vultr really want to sell.

> >BTW didn't you want to try Hetzner? A lot of details are on the thread.
>
> I have used Hetzner in the past and they didn't offer the required subset of KVM-like functionality.  I asked their support team a few months ago and was told I'd have to get a dedicated server.

Not clear what that "KVM-like functionality" would be (KVM VPSes are
more similar than different across providers) ...

C.