Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> > > Oh certainly. I can vouch for this as well. However Hetzner's
> > > configuration for nearly same price is quite better
> > >
> > > storage: 10G vs 20G
> > > RAM: 512M vs 2G
> > > traffic: .50T vs 20T
> > > price: $2.5 vs Euro 2.49 (approx $2.79)
> > >
> > > Thanks for clarifying this well. I am inclined to try their service out
> > > now.
> >
> > If you do try, please let us know it goes! :-)
>
> I did try this out and it's working pretty fine. Deleted if after some
> testing. Thinking whether I should migrate from Vultr.
>
> On my request they immediately added NetBSD to their collection of isos
> and it installed fine as well.
>
> Vultr allows you to directly boot from an iso, whereas at Hetzner you have
> to first instantiate a server using a pre-definied Linux image, then
> attach iso to it and then reboot to your iso. A bit unnecessary, but ok as
> it's one time.
>
> On the web console the keyboard did not work reliably - e.g. up, down
> keys, but there are alternatives in netbsd installer. Later even normal
> alphabetic keys didn't work, but after restarting everything they started
> working fine. I think vultr's console was relatively smoother. But these
> things aren't a deal breaker, being one time.
>
> They do not have location servers to test latencies. One has to
> temporarily provision the servers and check latency - this is what they
> advised. Locations are Nuremberg, Falkenstein and Helsinki.
>
> Overall the support service was very responsive.

Thanks for the update. Yes, it sounds like installing NetBSD at Vultr is
a bit easier than at Hetzner, but once it's installed, there probably
isn't a significant difference.

In my experience, a US or UK keyboard works best for the web console of
a control panel for a KVM VPS, but perhaps the problem that you had was
due to something else.

C.