Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 08:55:14AM +0000, Christopher Pinon wrote:
> Yes, Hetzner's VPS line is KVM, and NetBSD should work on it, but I
> don't have experience with this. Their control panel doesn't allow you
> to upload an ISO but you can request an ISO via a ticket. Their panel
> then allows you to interact with your VPS.

Thanks. I'll try asking them whether they could make NetBSD available.

> This said, Vultr is no doubt a safer choice for NetBSD, because a number
> of us have run NetBSD on Vultr with no issues.

Oh certainly. I can vouch for this as well. However Hetzner's
configuration for nearly same price is quite better

storage: 10G vs 20G
RAM: 512M vs 2G
traffic: .50T vs 20T
price: $2.5 vs Euro 2.49 (approx $2.79)

May be there are finer differences at processor, disk level etc. but for
an entry level VPS they may not be so critical for many people.

> > This[2] says KVM console is on chargeable basis beyond 3 hours. I think
> > vultr doesn't have such restriction. Does inceptionhosting have any such
> > restriction?
>
> The KVM console pertains to the dedicated servers; for the VPSes, you
> use their control panel to manage the VPS. (No time restriction for the
> control panel.)

Thanks for clarifying this well. I am inclined to try their service out
now.

BTW, it was > 5 years back I tried NetBSD on AWS. There used to be AMI
image somewhere. Not sure whether they support custom ISO installation
now.

Anyway I am not a great fan of their pricing methods, which are very
complex.

Of course, now they have `lightsail' with simpler pricing, but its prices
are on the higher side as compared to the providers we are discussing
here.

Mayuresh