Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> > This said, Vultr is no doubt a safer choice for NetBSD, because a number
> > of us have run NetBSD on Vultr with no issues.
>
> Oh certainly. I can vouch for this as well. However Hetzner's
> configuration for nearly same price is quite better
>
> storage: 10G vs 20G
> RAM: 512M vs 2G
> traffic: .50T vs 20T
> price: $2.5 vs Euro 2.49 (approx $2.79)
>
> May be there are finer differences at processor, disk level etc. but for
> an entry level VPS they may not be so critical for many people.

Hetzner's VPS-line is relatively new, dating from January 2018. One
suspects that they wanted to give Vultr and Digital Ocean some
competition in the VPS market. Their prices are definitely attractive.

(By the way, Digital Ocean don't allow custom ISOs, and they don't offer
NetBSD images, so they're not a good choice for NetBSD.)

> > The KVM console pertains to the dedicated servers; for the VPSes, you
> > use their control panel to manage the VPS. (No time restriction for the
> > control panel.)
>
> Thanks for clarifying this well. I am inclined to try their service out
> now.

If you do try, please let us know it goes! :-)

> BTW, it was > 5 years back I tried NetBSD on AWS. There used to be AMI
> image somewhere. Not sure whether they support custom ISO installation
> now.
>
> Anyway I am not a great fan of their pricing methods, which are very
> complex.
>
> Of course, now they have `lightsail' with simpler pricing, but its prices
> are on the higher side as compared to the providers we are discussing
> here.

No custom ISOs with Lightsail, and no NetBSD images offered, so not a
good choice for NetBSD.

As for other products at AWS, well, really no reason to consider them
unless you're a business with a serious budget. Just my two cents.

C.