Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Hello, could anyone recommend web hosting providers for the following cases:
>
> 1. Register domain while it is available and set up basic web + email.
> This only needs to be an empty landing page and ability to
> send/receive emails at the new domain. There are thousands of
> providers out there and I could pick one at random, but would like to
> find a BSD friendly provider, so that I don't have to migrate if I
> need to upgrade to VPS or Co-location.
>
> 2. At some point in the future I would like to run NetBSD or FreeBSD
> VPS, so would be good to have recommendations for this case.

If you really want a NetBSD-savvy web hosting and VPS provider, then I'm
afraid that your choices will be limited and that you should be prepared
to pay a premium price.

Most VPS providers that offer KVM virtualization allow for installation
from ISOs, and recent versions of NetBSD run fine on KVM. If you're
prepared to install NetBSD on a VPS and manage the VPS yourself, you can
save a lot of money, but naturally the downside is that the provider
won't be able to help with NetBSD-specific issues.

> Also, I live in the UK, but not sure of hosting in Europe vs US. Are
> there any recommendations against holding your data in US data
> centres, i.e. DMCA issues, NSA spying, etc?

Someone has already mentioned Vultr (who offer KVM VPSes), which is a
good choice. I've run a small NetBSD VPS at Vultr in the past.

For a small, reliable UK-based provider (who offer both web hosting and
VPSes), I can recommend https://inceptionhosting.com/ . I currently run
a small NetBSD VPS with them.

C.