Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 02:32:05PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 01:19:21PM -0600, David Young wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 04:14:16PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> > > Why does the base system only have to provide the bare minimum?  I want
> > > a useable system, and not only a skeleton.
> >
> > I'm glad you asked that question.  I think that NetBSD is sinking below
> > the threshold of usefulness for daily computing because it does not come
> > with the tools to do type and quality of work that's expected these
> > days.
>
> My personal opinion is that a large number of very talented and dedicated
> people are employed by entities with large budgets specifically to
> produce systems (many Unix-based) "for daily computing" and that it
> makes little sense for NetBSD to try to compete with them.  I do not
> believe "all things to all people" is the right choice for any project,
> ever.

I think that your response may have more to do with unstated assumptions
that you believe we share than what I actually wrote.

I think you may have assumed that I think that the culmination of
UNIX/NetBSD development should be, or should compete with, Mac OS X.  I
do not.

I think that you may also have assumed that UNIX is or only can be the
underpinnings of a computing system.  I disagree.

I don't think you believe that nobody can/should/does use UNIX/NetBSD
for daily computing, but I don't know quite how to read your email
otherwise. :-)

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24