Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 03:08:07PM -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> I guess this answers my other question.  "How do you...?" is "I don't!"

Right.  I don't because I can't.  If you have to cross-compile, in a
production environment, you basically can't use pkgsrc.  So telling
anyone doing certain kinds of work with NetBSD to use pkgsrc is just
a non-starter.

That said, pkgsrc is *FANTASTIC* for lots of other applications.  I
almost never build any software by hand on NetBSD except when I
have to convert it for embedded use -- since then I have to figure
out how its native build system works, and rip it out!

I think my company is not unusual among companies (past and present)
doing embedded stuff with NetBSD in that the approach we've taken:
minimize the set of external stuff used, try to feed back anything
small and seemingly generally useful (liblzf, ee) into base NetBSD,
and just accept the burden of converting other stuff to use BSD
Makefiles and maintaining it in a private tree.

Thor