Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:11:42 +0200
Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, David Holland wrote:
> > bind should be kicked out; there's no reason other than historical
> > tradition to have it in base, and it's a maintenance hassle both for
> > us and for sysadmins.
>
> We should have a full-service DNS resolver in base.  It doesn't have to
> be bind.

Personally I wonder why we have bind, Postfix and a lot of other stuff
in base.  We don't need it to run a basic system.  We can
point /etc/resolv.conf at a running resolver and our email client can
be set up to mail to an external SMTP server.  For a basic, working
system that works.

But...

I do think that we need to take a page from FreeBSD here and make it
easy to install pkgsrc during the install and offer to browse and
install packages then.  If someone wants to run a DNS server they
probably know that they need to install something.  If they want screen
or tmux or something else, select it at that time.

We could strip the base install down to something that even mouse would
run -current.  :-)

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/