Re: Importing tmux into base

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 04:14:16PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> Why does the base system only have to provide the bare minimum?  I want
> a useable system, and not only a skeleton.

I'm glad you asked that question.  I think that NetBSD is sinking below
the threshold of usefulness for daily computing because it does not come
with the tools to do type and quality of work that's expected these
days.

Just for one example of tools that the base system is missing, we don't
have a full-text indexing & search system.  Today I can attach to one
NetBSD machine enough storage to hold all of the ASCII text that was on
the web in 1997.  1997, as I remember it, was a crisis year for search
engines: search engines were not keeping up with the growth of the web,
and people had worse and worse difficulty finding things.  That year a
friend introduced me to a new search engine called Google that worked
differently and much better than the rest.  In 2011, NetBSD is in a
similar situation as the web was in 1997: we have zillions of files, and
no easy way to find them. find | grep is actually *worse* for locating
files on a NetBSD system in 2011 than Altavista was for finding web
pages in 1997.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24