Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

On 2014-02-08 10:37, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
On 8 February 2014 08:55, Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo%lucius.xxx@localhost>
wrote:
Also there is a lot of discussion and thought about new users. The
evangelism differs in intensity from project to project, but it is a
reality of most OSS. Either loosing or gaining users

'Evangelism' is an insidious word. What kind of user would you want to
bring in? Linux or other *Bsd refugees, complete n00bs, power users?

The major stumbling block here is that Netbsd doesn't run on tablets
and smartphones.

I don't exactly see how this is a -major- stumbling point.
And while this is a topic best discussed in its own thread, here some quick thoughts on it:

Yes, it might be considered a drawback that there's no port for mobile devices yet, that can be flashed using a recovery-"mod" or tools like "odin" (and while this targets the android-devices, please understand this just as an example). I don't know if there's serious work on that or not, but actually I don't exactly see the major benefit in it. Most software available for Unix isn't tablet/smartphone-optimized in regard of UI and handling, anyway, so using it would be major pain in the butt. Something, that's not the issue of any operating system but an issue of those writing the UI-frameworks and UIs for the "desktop-environments" and window-managers. Yes, it was or is one aim of NetBSD to run on as many systems as possible in a stable, reliable and manageable manner, but usability of an OS on a mobile device, when there's no properly optimized UI available would make that attempt rather...futile. If one is bothered with the number of clicks it takes to download an OS-image, imagine how one would be bothered by being able to use his/her tablet only by means of SSH...

I had to buy an old laptop to have a good chance to
run Netbsd, I am not sure how it will work on new hardware optimized
for Windows 8. Sure, it runs on backroom servers, but then the sys-ad
won't really be bothered by how many click it takes to download an
image.

As John Nemeth already wrote, the major stumbling point is called "UEFI". That's already work-in-progress, as old-style BIOSes are going to be extinct rather sooner than later, and if I am right, it's working already as long as the UEFI supports a so-called legacy-mode - you can read about that in some earlier mails of another thread [1].

NetBSD is no FreeBSD nor a PC-BSD. It's goal is not, and has never been, to run on the hottest, newest, bleeding edge hardware. NetBSD's goal is and has always been stability and reliability. You can't have both, newest hardware-support and stability. When someone decides to use NetBSD, I simply expect them to have read as much and taken a look at the supported-hardware-list - or may even selected the hardware in use to match that list. Otherwise, it might actually occur that NetBSD won't work for her/him. But again, that's actually not what this thread was about. It was about easing the download, not discussing on which hardware it would work.

Besides that and to get back to topic, it took me two clicks to get to the BitTorrent-Files, with a third click to actually initiate the download. The direct iso download is just as many clicks away from the start-page, and I didn't experiment which link to click to get the least number of clicks.
I simply used the obvious one.

So...remind me, please, what are we actually discussing here?

- Volkmar

--
http://www.dimensionv.de/
http://tech.nifelheim.info/