Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

* Luca Ferrari <fluca1978%infinito.it@localhost> [2014-02-08 08:09]:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl%beer.org@localhost>
> wrote:
> > When did we decide you had to be at a certain level of 'smart' in
> > order to use NetBSD?
> >
> > Just because you want it to be difficult to get our software,
> > doesn't mean it should be.  I know I'm smart enough to build NetBSD
> > from source, layout the disk manually, dump the files on, and have
> > it boot... Does that mean I don't use the install script?
>

> It is not a matter of keeping it "difficult" or making it more
> difficult than needed.  It is a fact that we should not be scaried by
> a few more clicks to get the job done (downloading). Instead of
> improving the web site to make it more "one-click-to-download", we
> should improve what the user is going to download. That will pay off
> the extra clicks to get it.  And please, I'm not saying NetBSD is not
> good, just that we should care more about WHAT you are downloading
> than HOW you are going to download it.

You know all this time we have been discussing # of clicks it takes to
download NetBSD. In the bigger scale of things, even if it took 2 or 20,
the result is what should be the focus?!

If the user is new to NetBSD, the number of clicks it takes to download
is the only one of very few hurdles he/she would face. And honestly,
clicking 6 or even 20 times to get the ISO will not relate or translate
to a better experience for this user if they aren't able to use or learn
NetBSD..

Again, the suggestion of a wiki and a site (maybe with hooks into Social
Media to Like/Add content) might make it better to navigate around
NetBSD.org and if the focus is that new user, it would mean making their
life a lot simpler with a Wiki. Even the experience...

Personally, # of clicks needed to download NetBSD is not a reflector of
the quality or anything else for that matter. It is just how many clicks
it took you to download NetBSD. I mean I won't go running to OpenBSD
simply because I could download it in 2 click vs 6 in NetBSD. In terms
of markers for something useful, it doesn't really translated into one
either.

Also there is a lot of discussion and thought about new users. The
evangelism differs in intensity from project to project, but it is a
reality of most OSS. Either loosing or gaining users.

++ There is a time in the tides of men, ++
++ Which, taken at its flood, leads on to success. ++
++ On the other hand, don't count on it. ++
++                                       - T. K. Lawson ++