Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

On Feb 7, 2014, at 6:05 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Andrew Smallshaw
> <andrews%sdf.lonestar.org@localhost> wrote:
>> I agree with _that_ sentiment.  What is the point of dumbing down
>> the "fetch ISO image" and even "Install" phases so that a two year
>> old can do them if at the end of that process and after a reboot
>> you get a black screen with a Login: prompt in the top left?  If
>> you can't manage to click even a disputed six links in turn what
>> chances do you have?
>

> simply means NetBSD downloaders are supposed to know what they are
> doing.
> Beside, having a single click download and install procedure reminds
> me another operating system I don't use since a long time....

...I know I'm going to regret this ....

When did we decide you had to be at a certain level of 'smart' in order to use
NetBSD?

Just because you want it to be difficult to get our software, doesn't mean it
should be.  I know I'm smart enough to build NetBSD from source, layout the
disk manually, dump the files on, and have it boot... Does that mean I don't
use the install script?

How do you propose that someone get to be smart enough to be able to install
NetBSD your way?  They should start with 'another operating system' until
they're smart enough and then they should abandon their investment in that
operating system and come over to our side?