Re: Downloading NetBSD - Too complicated ?

On Feb 8, 10:37am, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
} On 8 February 2014 08:55, Lucius Rizzo <Lucius.Rizzo%lucius.xxx@localhost>
wrote:
} > Also there is a lot of discussion and thought about new users. The
} > evangelism differs in intensity from project to project, but it is a
} > reality of most OSS. Either loosing or gaining users
}
} 'Evangelism' is an insidious word. What kind of user would you want to
} bring in? Linux or other *Bsd refugees, complete n00bs, power users?
}
} The major stumbling block here is that Netbsd doesn't run on tablets
} and smartphones. I had to buy an old laptop to have a good chance to
} run Netbsd, I am not sure how it will work on new hardware optimized
} for Windows 8. Sure, it runs on backroom servers, but then the sys-ad

     The major stumbling block would be UEFI and that's being worked
on.  Other then that, you sometimes see new devices for which
drivers aren't yet available.  That's something that may or may
not be rectified quickly.  The biggest problem with drivers right
now is support for newer video cards, which tend to require DRM,
KMS, etc., but there is on-going work in this area as well.  This,
of course, isn't an issue for servers, just desktops.

}-- End of excerpt from Ottavio Caruso