Re: Using coccinelle for (quick?) syntax fixing

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:11:32 -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 10:49:05PM +0200, Jean-Yves Migeon wrote:
>> Note also that I applied the spatch against sys/; the rest of src could
>> get a scan. But I would prefer to look for other static analyzers
>> perhaps there are more suitable (and faster) ones.
> If you're talking about static analyzers, wouldn't coverity count?

$ cd /usr/pkgsrc/*/coverity/
ksh: cd: /usr/pkgsrc/*/coverity - No such file or directory

> I haven't actually used Coccinelle, just read about it, but it seems
> it's a tool for modifying the sources, rather than finding the problems
> in the first place, and trying to make it do the latter sounds

Not "difficult"; in these examples, it is just plain overkill: a decent
static analyzer is likely to catch them.

Coccinelle is rather a tool to simplify code overhaul, something you
cannot do with coverity-like things. I will give a more concrete example
with my kvm(3) patch for 64 bits paddr_t and i386, but it is not ready yet.

Jean-Yves Migeon