Re: msk dhcpcd tcpdump problem

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 06:08:13PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 12:00:30AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-08-08 at 19:41 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
> > > 1) When carrier drops, should we keep configuration file entries such as
> > > ones in resolv.conf, ntp.conf et all?
> >
> > No one has any preference? Well, they're currently being removed from
> > configs when carrier drops.
>
> It should be configurable, or controlled by scripts, I think that the
> principle that I mentioned before still applies: keep the information
> until better information arrives.

Actually it is rather important that the information stays.
Consider what happens when someone temporarily unplugs the cable
(or accidentally power cycles a hub/switch).

Since you can't detect a failure beyond the immediate hub/switch there
is little point detecting the local one.

Don't try to follow the completely broken behaviour of windows ...

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost