Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

Hauke Fath <hf%spg.tu-darmstadt.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:22:29 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>> Essentially, just like with switching X11 from native to modular, you'd
>>> probably have to rebuild all when you switch from
>>> PKG_DEFAULT_OPTIONS=-x11 to a setup based on X11.
>>
>> Yes, but I thought we were talking about making it optional to skip
>> things all the time, rather than adding an x11 option to every font
>> package.
>
> You mean, like a global switch that optionally disables registering
> installed fonts?

No, I thought you were proposing (or maybe it was abs@) changing the
install logic to "run mkfontdir if it is isstalled, otherwise just
dont'".

>>  If all font packages have an option to skip registration, I
>> don't see that we need to make pkg-install-time registration conditional
>> on the environment.
>
> Right, agreed.
>
> But when you later decide to have mkfontdir register the fonts (because
> you found you wanted X11 after all), you wouldn't have a way of
> tracking down the fonts installed so far, or would you?

Not really, unless they register in some dir so this can be done.

This is all pretty complicated and error prone, and as I see it, is
therefore not a good global tradeoff for all of the pkgsrc world having
that extra complexity so that you can avoid a small package that you
dislike that doesn't actually cause trouble, and isn't structurally
different from lots of little dependencies that could be pruned off in
various circumstances.