Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:17:20 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> You have a patch to dejavu-ttf to omit font registration.  So let's
> assume that with that patch, you build everything you need.

This in fact is what happened.

> Now, if you back out that patch, and make replace in dejavu-ttf (or the
> equivalent before/after full builds; the detailed mechanism is not the
> point),
>
>   what exactly is built and installed that you would rather isn't?
>
>   how long does it take to build?
>
>   how big is it?

I'll have to test-run that tomorrow on another machine where I set
X11_TYPE=modular. As mentioned, on the machine I am currently
installing, this required too much hand-holding to make sure I only got
what I wanted, and I reverted to X11_TYPE=native.

For a general idea: The (now basically completed) machine installation
has apache, mariadb, postgresql, several web applications and the
assorted bunch of php, python and perl scripts, amounting to ~220
packages. For comparison, my workstation (icewm, so very little
kde/gnome stuff) amounts to ~1350 packages.

During the build I ran into three X11 related problems: xemacs-packages
(fonts), xymon (dejavu-ttf via rrdtool), and graphviz (while it has an
option to disable X11 support, either the tcl or lua dependency pulled
in X11 parts).

It looks like dejavu-ttf is the rare exception from a rule that there
will be little use for fonts in an non-X11 installation. Apparently
rrdtool originally shipped with its own copy of dejavu-ttf, and later
split it out.

I suggest just re-applying my original patch to dejavu-ttf, since there
will not be many more cases like it.

Cheerio,
Hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344