Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 14:51:29 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> But when you later decide to have mkfontdir register the fonts (because
>> you found you wanted X11 after all), you wouldn't have a way of
>> tracking down the fonts installed so far, or would you?
>
> Not really, unless they register in some dir so this can be done.

Which currently they do not, instead setting FONTS_DIRS.foo triggers a
call to mkfontdir.

So there would have to be a "database" for font packages to register
themselves so that a mkfontdir installed later can properly register
all fonts?

> This is all pretty complicated and error prone, [...]

Yep, agreed. As I said, I ran into exactly two such cases for the
current situation. xemacs-packages has been dealt with. If the
community finds adding an x11 option to dejavu-ttf too outrageous,
since they don't understand the use case and make it a matter of
principle*, so be it - I can deal with it locally.

Cheerio,
Hauke

* that's what it sounded like on #pkgsrc

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344