Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

On 7/23/21 3:56 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
I had suggested to make the mkfontdir step optional - if it can't be
done for lack of X11, there is no harm - but Greg already summarily
dismissed the idea.

That's not an accurate characterization.  I pointed out that it's a core
principle of pkgsrc that when you build a package you get the same
outcome, absent intentionally setting options.  I don't think that view
is controversial or surprising.

No, but how does it apply here?

We install a fonts directory which can be used with or without X11 - rrdtool uses the fonts to produce web png graphics. Now we can

(1) make the (install-time) font registration optional - No X, nothing to register. I wrapped this pattern up as "Use FEATURE if available, move on if not", which is what you (strongly) reacted to.

(2) mandate that since the fonts will have to be registered with an optional X11 installation, the package has an implicit X11 dependency. Which could be a package option, but Thomas didn't think this would scale (can't blame him).

Any (3) that I cannot see?

Cheerio,
Hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344