Re: disklabel (was: install files on mac UFS partition) mac mini G4)

Hallo Martin,

On 07.11.21 18:56, Martin Husemann schreef:
On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 03:45:06PM +0100, Kristoff wrote:
but as "owfboot" does load and start, my impressium is that are already
passed that hurdle.
The question now is "why doesn't ofwboot not find the netbsd kernel?" (that
is present on the root-partition of the disk!)

You are indeed past all complex things. The N in the hdN:/netbsd boot
string is the number of the Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partition where your root
file system lives. The number typically is >= 9, e.g. on my G4 mac it
is 11. The output of the NetBSD pdisk command shows the number clearly
in the first column.

That is interesting info and it would indeed explain a lot.

As the filesystems where created with the installation CD (i.e. NetBSD kernel), I guess they are based on the "disklabel" boundaries.

This would explain why openfirmware is able to access partition 2 (where the start-of-partition information of the pdisk table and the disklabel do match), but not partition 3.

I'll work on this tomorrow.

Check the partition data shown by pdisk and disklabel. Size and offset
of that partition need to match (but I don't think on macppc there is
a way for them to differ, on other architectures this part could go
wrong). Are you sure you created a ffs file system there? You could
check with dumpfs(8).

I'll modify the disklabel, recreate new file-systems, reinstall netbsd and see if this solves the issue.

Just to be complete.

Can you say what you have in the disklabel of your machine, especially the "type" and "flags" fields?

(I guess that the "name" field is purely informational)

Martin

Thanks! :-)

Kristoff