Re: Synology PPCBoot SK98 network bug fix

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 00:23:41 +0100
Julian Coleman <jdc%coris.org.uk@localhost> wrote:

> [..RAID support in altboot..]
> I now understand why the existing code works for you and the patch works
> for me ;-)

Ok. Now it works for me too!

Just a few points to discuss:

1. I get a warning that the howmany() macro is unknown in raidframe.h:
  warning: implicit declaration of function 'howmany'
This is solved by including <sys/param.h>. I wonder how it worked for you?

2. You are still using 'first' to calculate the offset for your partitions
in the RAID: rf_offset = first + RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS;
Although it works for you now, it would probably fail if you had a
non-RAID partition in your disklabel before the RAID part. For example:
  a: 144808272        63     4.2BSD   2048 16384     0
  d: 167773473 144808335       RAID
Here rf_offset should be 144808335+RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS and not
63+RF_PROTECTED_SECTORS. Solution: Use the RAID partition's 'p_offset'
instead of 'first'.

3. When you read the new disklabel from RAID you assume that it starts
right at the beginning of the sector. Probably this is always true, but
I would not rely on that, but scan through all the 512 bytes of the
sector, while looking for DISKMAGIC (as already done before).

> > Altboot stops the Power LED from blinking, as one of its first actions.
> > Never had a problem here.
>
> The power LED is constant green.  However, the newer firmware must set the
> disk lights to blinking orange.

The disk lights? In my older model the disk LED cannot be controlled at
all. It is directly connected to the disk. The known protocol allows to
control the power LED, the status LED and the USB LED.

--
Frank Wille